Shopify Partners With Nine Climate Technology Startups↘
Have you heard the latest news? Shopify is backing nine new entrepreneurial, climate technology startups, raising its total carbon removal buy pledge to $32 million by distributing generated sustainability investment funds.
From what we’ve heard here at Karmoon; Loam, DroneSeed, Sustaera and Carbin Minerals are among the platform’s nine new sustainability partners.
Shopify is thought to be the largest buyer for eight of these partners, as well as the initial buyer for four.
As a result, the team at Shopify recognise the need to give back and renew our planet when it comes to creating and maintaining a sustainable environment.
Creating A Sustainable Future with Shopify
Shopify recognises the importance and urgency to act when it comes to finding new and innovative ways to create a sustainable future, especially in the world of ecommerce.
As an industry leader, the company has stepped up to the plate and is paving the way for others to follow suit by distributing its sustainability investment funds amongst the selected nine climate technology startups.
- “As the largest purchaser, we are providing companies with a strong revenue stream that helps them secure financing and as the first purchaser, we are sending a clear market signal for others to buy from these partners.
- Each company we’ve purchased from is working towards our shared goal of finding innovative ways to create a more sustainable future.
- They’ve created solutions that could truly revolutionise their sector and make an impactful contribution to reversing climate change at scale.”
Shopify’s Selection of Climate Technology Startups
Each of the nine climate technology startups selected by Shopify was chosen based on several criteria, including; technology, process, growth goals and the potential impact of the purchase.
As a result, Shopify has cemented its place as one of the world's largest corporate purchasers, with a total of 39,380 tonnes of long-term carbon removal purchased.
Shopify’s Mission for Supporting Sustainability Investment Funds
Shopify intends to reduce more than 200 years of emissions from the globe by funding these nine climate technology startups.
Stacy Kauk, the Head of Sustainability at Shopify commented:
- “Purchasing carbon removal from leading companies is critical to helping them scale, but purchasing from emerging companies pursuing novel approaches is equally essential.
- We need as many companies as possible innovating in this space to remove over 200 years of emissions to go beyond critical emission reductions.”
So, what are your thoughts on Shopify’s partnership with nine climate technology startups? We, for one, think that distributing sustainability investment funds is commendable.
If you’re actively looking to work with a Shopify agency designer or developer to assist you with your business, we’d love to hear from you. Get in touch to get started!